• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Where in the World 24

Started by jarcadia, March 02, 2012, 07:45:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jarcadia

As Colin is busy I have jumped in, but you might not want to jump off this.

welshcol

Is This WiTW 241/2 or 25?

I must be on a winning streak here, what do they say before a fall!!!, but this is one place I just have to go and see one day.
The Millau Bridge is one of the civil engineering masterpieces of the 20/21 centuries. ;)
I will wait for a yes before I post i have got one poser ready. ;D 

jarcadia

Tried not to use a good photo, but you still got it.  And yes it is very impressive, didn't drive across it as we stayed in the village and bypassed it.  Could have backtracked to go across but Jackie said she would not look so no point in paying 17? toll.

Geoffw

One of my ambitions is to see that!

My dad (who passed away in 1982), as a Bridge builder by profession - a civil engineer.  So, as an aside can you identify where these photos were taken!
Geoff

jarcadia

#3 Port Talbort M4?
#4 Cleddau Bridge?

Geoffw

March 02, 2012, 11:04:29 pm #5 Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:25:24 pm by Geoffw
Yup! That's our connection with West Wales.  Dad's final contract before he retired was to finish the Cleddau  Bridge.

the first two you are unlikely to get:

!: A road bridge over the Forty Foot Dyke in the Fens near Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire
2: The Notter Bridge Between Saltash and Liskeard in Cornwall.

CLICK HERE to see all of his British Bridges

EDITED: a typo!
Geoff

Geoffw

Here's another (this time) a compilation of 8mm movie film of the building of the Port Talbot Bi-Pass.  It includes a number of 'family' scenes with dad showing relations about the site.  My brother and I also feature briefly - I'm the handsome one in the black jumper!

CLICK HERE
Geoff