• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

First Outdoor Activity, Wed. 25th Nov. 10.30 am

Started by SteveB, November 15, 2020, 05:15:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

Dear all

The first outdoor activity of the relaunched Pembrokeshire U3A Natural history Group will be on Wednesday 25th November at 10-30a.m.

We shall meet at the roadside car park by the entrance to Corsydd Llangloffan National Nature Reserve, Castlemorris. Note this is NOT the Wildlife Trust reserve at Llangloffan Fen, although if time allows we may visit that afterwards as it is only a couple of minutes' drive away.

To get there, take the B4331 road joining the A40 at Letterston to the A487 at Mathry, about 10 miles north of Haverfordwest and 5 miles south of Fishguard. At Castlemorris crossroads take the St Nicholas turn, right if coming from Letterston, left if coming from Mathry, down the hill. The road bends right and then left and the car park is beside the road on the right before you get to the stone bridge.

There is a safe, dry walkway around the reserve which we shall be following.

The reserve consists of the eastern part of the largest floodplain river valley mire surviving in Pembrokeshire. Otters roam the reserve, and polecats, badgers, water voles and water shrews can also be found in and around the ponds and the small stream that runs through the fen. The birdlife is abundant, and corncrake, quail, and spotted crake have been recorded, along with more common winter visiting species such as snipe, water rail (which I have heard, if not yet seen, here) and numbers of waterfowl.

Many of you will know that I had considered Ty Canol or Pengelli Forest for our first venue, but Jennyfer and I reconnoitred these last week and both are in a very muddy and slippery state at the moment, and will be much more interesting in spring or summer anyway. They are also harder to find and parking is an issue at Pengelli.

In order to comply with CoVID-19 regulations limiting participant numbers, and for Health and Safety reasons, please let me know by midday Tuesday 24th November if you are planning on coming. I will need your e-mail address and a contact phone number, in case we have to postpone due to weather or other last minute issues.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Stay safe!

Steve Brady

Acting Group Co-ordinator, Pembrokeshire U3A Natural History Group