• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Subject leader volunteer!

Started by SteveB, August 02, 2020, 10:04:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

As you may have read in a recent newsletter, I have volunteered to organise a relaunch of the Natural History Group.

Before moving to Pembrokeshire, I was for many years an active member of Milton Keynes Natural History Society, Chairman for four years and Secretary for 22. I am a graduate Zoologist with a special interest in entomology, evolution and the environment.

In present circumstances we can do very little, but once it is safe and legal to do so I would plan to invite all interested parties to an inaugural meeting at the hall in Merlin's Bridge on a free Wednesday morning. There we can meet one another and decide what we want to do.

My own ideas would be to have monthly indoor meetings, with speakers if I can get them, at Merlin's Bridge throughout the months of inclement weather, probably on a Wednesday morning. During the late spring, summer and early autumn, I would suggest monthly meetings in the field at suitable sites. As a newcomer, I would be most grateful for suggestions as to these sites, and indeed also for offers to give talks at indoor meetings (possibly, for those that do not feel able to give a long talk, only of 10-15 minutes duration, in which case a meeting could consist of 3 or 4 such short talks).

Some people have already e-mailed me to express interest, and if so you need not respond to this to do so again. But if not and you are interested please, if you have not already done so, register your interest and/or suggestions and ideas about a revived Natural History Group either here or direct to me on stevejbrady@hotmail.com.

I hope we can get this back off the ground in one of the most wonderful areas for Natural History in the British Isles.

Steve Brady

SteveB

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my first post.

I think the level of response I have had shows a relaunch of the Natural History Group would be viable. I had hoped to do something in the physical universe this season, but the continuing CoVID restrictions have made that, to my mind, infeasible, so I think we should start in cyberspace.

To to kick things off I therefore propose we meet over Zoom on the last Wednesday of this month, October 28th, at 10.30 a.m. The idea would be to meet one another, at least via a computer screen, and discuss how we can take this forward.

Any ideas for subjects, speakers etc. for possible "indoor meetings" via Zoom over thw winter and for places to go next season would be most welcome. You all know more about the Natural History of this area and good places to go and things to see than I, as a new arrival, do!

Unless there are any salient objections (e.g. most people can't make it) I will set up and run the Zoom meeting on the 28th. If you have already responded to me I will send you a personal invite nearer the time, and  I will also post the link here.

Best wishes

Steve
Acting Group Organiser