• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
 

Microsoft will release Windows 10 on July 29th!

Started by Geoffw, June 02, 2015, 08:58:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

howlettmarg

Could any of you computer pros help us please?  We have resisted reserving our free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 as we understand a free update is avaiable for a year after the release date.  Is there any benefit in being one of the first to download (they won't run out of upgrades will they?!) or would your advice be to hold off until some of the inevitable problems after a download are sorted out.  Having just got used to Windows 8.1 we dread having to learn another system.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Geoffw

first there is no chance of them 'running out' of upgrades, so in that sense there is no need to hurry or worry.  As for when you upgrade, I think their reservation system is only to raise the profile of the new operating system, so you can accept the free upgrade at any time during that 1st year.

Personally I feel W8 is so poor the sooner you get W10 on your machine the better.  Also - this time Microsoft have made the beta versions available for enthusiasts for some time, to test and try to break.  In that way they have ironed out all but the most obscure glitches.  I've been using on my laptop for most of the year with only one problem - that was minor and has been fixed.
Geoff

howlettmarg

Thank you for your comments.  It looks as though we will have to bite the bullet, back up everything, find System Restore and hope for the best!   Does anyone know what happened to Windows 9?

Geoffw

We'll be taking a look at how to upgrade at the next Computer Group meeting,.  Come and join us!  Thursday 23rd at 2.30pm
Geoff

welshcol

Quote from: howlettmarg on July 06, 2015, 07:11:27 am
Thank you for your comments.  It looks as though we will have to bite the bullet, back up everything, find System Restore and hope for the best!   Does anyone know what happened to Windows 9?

I do not know if this will provide any peace of mind or reassurance but I "had" to change from Windows XP to Windows 8 and not being computer competent to any high level thought the world was going to fall apart.
As it turned out seemed to make little difference and the changeover was largely trouble/problem free.
I am sure I am not using Windows 8 to its full capability but so what it's user friendly for me and from what Geoff has said so far 8>10 is a similar transition.
Good luck!
:) ::)


howlettmarg

Thanks for the reassurance - we were in exactly the same position 'having' to give up the beloved XP because there were no more updates, but now we have got used to Windows 8 we hate the thought of any change!  Are the Computer Group meetings 'computer idiot' friendly? 

Geoffw

"idiot Friendly" ....... of course we are!  Don't you agree Colin?  ;D
Geoff

welshcol

Quote from: Geoffw on July 06, 2015, 06:06:55 pm
"idiot Friendly" ....... of course we are!  Don't you agree Colin?  ;D


Not quite sure if that is a hidden compliment Geoff or confirmation of my computer shortcomings - I will assume the former  ;) :) :)

The advantage of Geoff's expertise is that being a former teacher he can drop back to the level of the person(s) he is communicating with,
in my case after a very useful "IT and a cup of Tea" course, he knows I am starting from a need to know, basic level !!.
As with most other U3A groups there is a whole spectrum of expertise, capability, knowledge, fitness etc. but please be assured you will not be patronised or made to feel uncomfortable even if its the first time you have switched a computer on.
Typically at a U3A Computer Meeting 80% goes completely over my head or is not of a particular interest or use to me. The remaining 20% is however useful and informative and if nothing else to see the "experts" occasionally encounter and be totally befuddled by the power of IT and computers like the rest of us mortals is very reassuring.  :) ;D :) ;D
Hope to see you at the next session.
 

Maytree

Microsoft has been downloading Windows 10 files on to my desktop today, see picture below.

I checked for and downloaded some updates this morning, then shut down the PC.
During shutdown it told me it was downloading one update.
I left it to update whilst shopping, when I came back it was still updating!
It took about an hour before it finally shut down.

It makes a folder called "SWindows.~BT"

Microsoft say they will notify me when it is ready to install....

Bob

welshcol

I too appear to have downloaded Windows 10 safely- not sure where it is but is giving option of choice of time when to install.
Awaiting "expert" advise from son in law to install so am just hopeing Cortana is safe in "storage" although I expect Geoff will talk to her !!  ;) :) ;D ;) ;D
She sounds prettier than her picture  ;) :D