• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Driving Refresher Course

Started by Geoffw, July 09, 2015, 08:35:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffw

I am writing with regard to our driver refresher course Drive for Life.  I was hoping you could include an article regarding the course into your newsletter,to help promote then course to your members.  I have posters or a pdf which could be included into the newsletter.

The course is aimed at the 65+ age range, for individuals who drive regularly and aims to cover all aspects of safer driving and refresh their driver skills and knowledge.

It is a one day course, which runs between 9:00am to approx. 3.30pm and is held at the Fire Station, Merlin's Hill, Haverfordwest.

The morning is classroom based and includes informal discussion, safety films and a refresher of the Highway Code. The afternoon is a practical driving session with an approved driving instructor. Lunch is provided. 

Individuals share the instructors vehicle with another candidate and cover any aspects of driving that the individual wishes to refresh, such as parallel parking or roundabouts and general safer driving techniques. There is no assessment or test and this is a voluntary course that is free of charge.

Any interested candidate needs to contact road safety on 01437 775144 or road.safety@pembrokeshire.gov.uk with their details which include: full address and contact numbers and if they require manual or automatic vehicle. 

I would be grateful if you could contact me to discuss this matter on the number above

Yours Faithfully

Kirstie Donoghue- Road Safety Officer  - Sent by :Kirstie-anne.donoghue@pembrokeshire.gov.uk
Geoff

welshcol

I left my details with the Council when this was first advised in the U3A Newsletter March/April.
I have yet to receive any contact.
Would be interested to hear if anyone else is on a "waiting list" or have actually been given an appointment date. ::)

roseymitchell

I had a phone call from Kirstie last week and she offered me some dates.  I am now booked to go on a course in September.

welshcol

Quote from: roseymitchell on July 13, 2015, 01:12:07 pm
I had a phone call from Kirstie last week and she offered me some dates.  I am now booked to go on a course in September.

I will give her a phone tomorrow to check if I am still on the waiting list.
Thanks for update.

welshcol

Apparently I was still on the "active" list but there have been  major delays over the last two months for various reasons but are now getting back on track.
Further complication for me was an expressed preference for an automatic gearbox car and apparently there is only one available. ::)
Anyway booked in for August so will update when  completed. ;)

welshcol

Going for my "review" next week!!!! :( Wish me luck  ;) :D

Geoffw

Are you driving, or will you go on your bicycle?
Geoff

welshcol

Definitely by car Geoff since they have found an "auto" box vehicle.
Surprised a bit by the course duration 09-30hrs > 15-45hrs so will hopefully find beneficial. ::)

Have you booked the Tafarn Sinc for Monday or Pump on the Green?, people I have spoken to hope its the latter!!. ;D

Geoffw

Tavarn Sinc on the 3rd August, Pump on the Green on the 24th!  How did I manage to get two walks in a month!  :-\
Geoff