• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
 
September 22, 2021, 05:41:47 pm

Logon problem

Started by jarcadia, May 23, 2013, 08:55:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jarcadia

I am having problem logging onto the forum. Sometime it work OK but most there is a problem. When I click on the "forum" button all I get is a blank white page. Sometimes opening other parts of the U3A web page and then the forum works but not always.  If I click on link from an email received in response to a posting then I get in with no problem.  Once in works ok.
Brian

Problem since new server
Win7
Firefox 21

welshcol

Quote from: jarcadia on May 23, 2013, 08:55:44 pm
I am having problem logging onto the forum. Sometime it work OK but most there is a problem. When I click on the "forum" button all I get is a blank white page. Sometimes opening other parts of the U3A web page and then the forum works but not always.  If I click on link from an email received in response to a posting then I get in with no problem.  Once in works ok.
Brian

Problem since new server
Win7
Firefox 21


Me too-exactly the same as "jarcadia".
Also can start off at Home does not know me and requests me to login if I then go to calendar I am there as welshcol, return to Home and am logged in.
Think there is a software anomaly somewhere along the line.  ::)
BTW if I click "view the most recent posts" I am shown as No 1 post for March 23rd!!!

adampembs

The blank page has been fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[Technical explanation: It was because the new server didn't have any default documents specified. i.e http://forum.pembrokeshireu3a.org.uk is not a reference to a file, just a folder that may contain a number of files, eg index.htm or default.aspx or index.php in this case. The developer therefore needs to specify the order in which to load these files. This can be quite useful during site construction, as you can have an index.htm "holding page" while you work on the php web pages. The php pages can still be accessed by typing the full path name, including the file. It is the first host that I've used that didn't have some default documents already set. ]

Adam Pollard

welshcol

Quote from: adampembs on May 24, 2013, 01:08:31 pm
The blank page has been fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[Technical explanation: It was because the new server didn't have any default documents specified. i.e http://forum.pembrokeshireu3a.org.uk is not a reference to a file, just a folder that may contain a number of files, eg index.htm or default.aspx or index.php in this case. The developer therefore needs to specify the order in which to load these files. This can be quite useful during site construction, as you can have an index.htm "holding page" while you work on the php web pages. The php pages can still be accessed by typing the full path name, including the file. It is the first host that I've used that didn't have some default documents already set. ]

Adam Pollard


Thank you, will give a try although did seem somewhat "intermittent" does this fit with the "fix" ?- Regards.... ;)

welshcol

Quote from: welshcol on May 24, 2013, 01:32:48 pm
Quote from: adampembs on May 24, 2013, 01:08:31 pm
The blank page has been fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[Technical explanation: It was because the new server didn't have any default documents specified. i.e http://forum.pembrokeshireu3a.org.uk is not a reference to a file, just a folder that may contain a number of files, eg index.htm or default.aspx or index.php in this case. The developer therefore needs to specify the order in which to load these files. This can be quite useful during site construction, as you can have an index.htm "holding page" while you work on the php web pages. The php pages can still be accessed by typing the full path name, including the file. It is the first host that I've used that didn't have some default documents already set. ]

Adam Pollard


Thank you, will give a try although did seem somewhat "intermittent" does this fit with the "fix" ?- Regards.... ;)


Have just gave it a try and if anything slightly worse!!!.
Would NOT recognise me at all on any selection option and had to relog in as welshcol .
Recognises me at "home" but not in calendar although have done posts in the past. ::)
Trust this makes sense!!!.
Also if I am on "home" and click on "View the most recent posts on the forum" still logs me out and goes to No1 Post as Geoff on March 28th!!


Geoffw

I think Adam may have solved Brian's difficulty, but I think you problem, Colin, may have to wait till I call over and see you so you can demonstrate it to me.
Geoff

welshcol

OK Geoff no problem-have a good Bank holiday. 8)

jarcadia

At first there was no improvement, if anything it was worse.  Cleared cache and cookies and first logon was slow, second much better.  Looks like first problem solved.......will report back if it reoccurs.
Could cache/cookies be Welshcols problem?

welshcol

Quote from: jarcadia on May 24, 2013, 06:28:46 pm
At first there was no improvement, if anything it was worse.  Cleared cache and cookies and first logon was slow, second much better.  Looks like first problem solved.......will report back if it reoccurs.
Could cache/cookies be Welshcols problem?


welshcol prefers welsh cakes to cookies thank you very much!!!!!. :) ;D ;D :) :D

jarcadia

Problem is back!! :( Have there been site changes in the last couple of weeks that might have caused this reversal?
Brian