• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Pembs U3A Natural History Group - Dowrog Common Walk a week Wednesday, 28th July

Started by SteveB, July 19, 2021, 04:04:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

Our next walk will be a week on Wednesday, 28th July, at Dowrog Common, near St. David's, meeting as usual at 10.15 am for 10.30. The walk should take a couple of hours.

Jennifer and I have reconnoitred the site, which is well endowed with interesting flowers and dragonflies.

Dowrog comes from the Welsh D┼Áriog, watery, and I suspect for most of the year much of it is. When we went it was pretty dry, at least mostly, and the trails were walkable. The site is flat, and is a mixture of dry heathland, wet heathland and bog. I would advise stout, waterproof footwear. There are no toilets or nearby refreshment facilities. I attach a link to a PDF produced by the local Wildlife Trust, which provides interesting information although the map is not overly forthcoming on the location of paths.  https://www.welshwildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DowrogCommon.pdf

The site is on a side road a couple of miles up the A487 from St David's, on the left if coming from St David's. If doing so, you pass the turnings on the right for Dr Beynon's Bug Farm and then St David's Country Cottages and it is the next turning on the left. If you come to the "Civic Amenity Site" (i.e. town dump!) sign on the right you have come too far! If coming towards St Davids on the A487, the turning is the first on the right after the Civic Amenity turn on the left.

Go up the narrow lane until you reach a cattle grid and a sign announcing Dowrog Common Nature Reserve. There is a small car park space there we shall use as an overflow if needed, but carry on up the road, over the little stone bridge over the River Alun, to the car park by the 2nd cattle grid, where we shall meet up.

Maps of the meeting point and route are available in the July U3A Natural; History Group Newsletter just posted on this Forum.

In order to comply with CoVID-19 regulations limiting participant numbers, and for Health and Safety reasons, please let me know by midday Tuesday 27th July if you are planning on coming, if you have not already done so. I will need your e-mail address and a contact phone number, in case we have to postpone due to weather or other last minute issues.  I shall issue a final go/no go email to those who have registered by 5pm on Tuesday 27th.

I look forward to seeing you a week on Wednesday.

Best wishes

Steve

Steve Brady, Pembs U3A Natural History Group Leader