• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

U3A Natural History Group next activity-Bird watching @The Gann, Wed 27 Oct 1130

Started by SteveB, October 20, 2021, 08:10:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

Autumn is a good time to spot migratory shorebirds, and one of the best places to spot them is The Gann, an estuary near St. Ishmaels, which is itself near Dale. S

To avoid high tide impeding our walk we shall meet an hour later than usual at 11.15 for 11.30 a.m. at the car park by the path to Monk's Haven. 

We shall walk along the Coast path from Monk's Haven to the south bank of the Gann Estuary, then along the Estuary and back. If conditions permit, we may venture along the boardwalk to look at the other side of the bay toward Dale. 

The Coast Path is very three-dimensional - it goes up and down a lot. It is also muddy. The latter is true also of the Gann estuary path, whilst some of the walk is along a stony beach. Those preferring an easier pace can go direct to the Gann estuary from where we are meeting. I shall give directions if required. Stout and mud-resistant walking footwear is called for. Also BRING BINOCULARS if you have them (I will bring a spare pair or two).

We shall meet at 11.15 for 11.30 (note time!) at the FREE car park at Monk Haven. Head for St Ishmael's off the B4327 Haverfordwest-Dale road. Follow the route in green on the map below, which avoids St Ishmael's Village. Follow the signpost to Monk Haven. This leads down a steep lane. At the bottom is the entrance signposted "PRIVATE ROAD - Footpath only" to Monk Haven) - turn sharp right before passing between the concrete posts and you are in the Free Car Park. No toilets.

This Car Park is also marked on the Walk Map below. The route in orange is the one we shall follow. Those wishing to avoid the Coast Path section can go from the car park against the direction of the arrows to the Shortcut in blue, which they follow to await the rest of us. We shall walk along the Estuary and back. We may then cross the river, if possible, for a look on the Dale side.

After the walk we can repair to St Ishmael's renowned Nursery, marked "Coffee Here Afterwards" where coffee, cakes and other refreshments are available, as well as a selection of interesting plants and other gardening impedimenta.   And Toilets!

In order to have an idea of numbers, participants, and for Health and Safety reasons, please let me know by midday Tuesday 26th October if you are planning on coming, if you have not already done so. I will need your e-mail address and a contact phone number, in case we have to postpone due to weather or other last minute issues.  I shall issue a final go/no go email to those who have registered by 5pm Tuesday 26th. 

See you on the 27th, I hope!                 

Steve

Steve Brady, Natural History Group Leader

P.S. I expect this will be our last outdoor walk of the season. Information about our indoor meetings during the Winter will be available shortly.