• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Pembs U3A Natural History Group - Bosherston Ponds walk this Tuesday, 29 June

Started by SteveB, June 22, 2021, 10:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

Thanks to all who came on our Ty Canol walk last month, which I thought went well - hopefully the other participants agree!

This month we are exploring Bosherston Lily Ponds and the dune habitat around Broad Haven South beach. Jennifer and I have today reconnoitred the site - we got lost a few times so you won't have to!

This lovely site has much in the way of plants, notably flowers, insects, notably damsel and dragonflies, and birds, waterfowl and at least one reed warbler. Most of it is easy going on gravelled paths - if it is dry next week you won't need boots but avoiding sandals is a good idea as they get gravel lodged within. There is some sandy heavier going in the dunes, and opportunities for the more vigorous to explore - there are orchids on the upper slopes of the dunes. I expect the walk to take about 2 hours, as last time.

There is also an opportunity for us to relax and share our sightings etc afterwards at the very welcoming Bosherston Village pub, the St Govan's (good beer and food!). Or those so inclined can picnic on Broad Haven South Beach.

Bosherston is a few miles south of Pembroke. Follow the B4319 from Pembroke past St Petrox then follow the signs to Bosherston. The Lily Ponds car park is signposted in the middle of the village. Do not go to the NT car park at their Stackpole Outdoor Centre (the map in the link I circulated earlier is NOT the walk we shall be doing).

We shall meet at 10.15 am at the parking ticket machine in the National Trust Bosherston Lily Ponds Car Park, postcode SA71 5DN, entrance next to St Michael and All Angels Church in the middle of Bosherston. Unfortunately if you are not a National Trust member parking is £3 for 3 hours, £6 for the day. We ought to finish the walk within 3 hours. Given we will be arriving early there may be a chance of parking for free around the village.

There are toilets at this NT car park.

I shall be issuing our June Newsletter this weekend with photos of this site and more information.

In order to comply with CoVID-19 regulations limiting participant numbers, and for Health and Safety reasons, please let me know by midday Monday 28th June if you are planning on coming, if you have not already done so. I will need your e-mail address and a contact phone number, in case we have to postpone due to weather or other last minute issues.  I shall issue a final go/no go email to those who have registered by 5pm on Tuesday 28th.

Because the event that made me put this walk on a Tuesday instead of our usual Wednesday has now fallen foul of the delay to "Freedom Day" in England, if the weather is forecast to be poor on the Tuesday, we could now simply move it to the Wednesday if the weather is better and if people can make it. Let me know when registering if you could do the Wednesday if we have to scrub the Tuesday.

I look forward to seeing you next Tuesday

Best wishes

Steve

Steve Brady, Pembs U3A Natural History Group Leader