Author Topic: Ventus GPS 730 data logger  (Read 4763 times)

jarcadia

Ventus GPS 730 data logger
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »
This thread probably is relevant to other forums on this site and perhaps the moderators will link them. 
Have just bought one of these http://www.ventusdesign.com/products/g730-ventus-gps-logger/, I am fed up of taking pictures and then trying to locate them where we were at the time.

Well no need to any more, The little machine above logs your journey by GPS (can be set for car, bike or walking) which can then be downloaded onto Google earth so you know exactly the route you took, When, Speed etc etc etc. With the software provided it will also link your photos to the place where they were took and put them in order.

Just to flesh that out a bit...
The logger just keeps a log of the lat/long and time. You tell them how often to make a log entry - every 30 seconds to once a day!
The camera writes a small data file and makes it part of the photo file. It is called the EXIF data and includes the time amongst other things.
The software looks at the EXIF data in the photo and then looks up that time in the loggers data.
The Lat & Long are then written into the EXIF of the photo file.
Now you just need the photo and a map, such as Google to show where each photo was taken. Just make sure you don't use a package on your photos that doesn't write the EXIF data.

The Google Earth file (kmz) I intended to attach is too large for this forum.  PM me if you would like to see one, it shows route and pictures taken this morning.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:17:34 PM by jarcadia »

Geoffw

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ventus GPS 730 data logger
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »
Do you need a camera with the necessary feature built in?
Geoff

jarcadia

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »
Yes you need a camera with the EXIF facility but saying that my understanding is that most modern digital cameras have it.  No doubt somebody from the photography section could enlighten us on that point.

Geoffw

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »
If is only the Exif data then you are right it should work with most modern digital cameras.  ~Is this the one - I found it on Amazon.

Geoff

jarcadia

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
Yes Geoff That is the one, found mine on Ebay about ?55.  One of the members on a motorhome forum that I belong to found it for ?55 on a Denmark site but he recons bank charges will equalise out the costs.
Brian

Geoffw

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »
Very clever...... I've just added one to my "Wish List" on Amazon. How about uploading a few of your photos for us to see?  Just resize them down a bit first  :)

For those who do not have Google Earth here is what you get when you run the KMZ file having had a day out and run the software with your camera.  As you can see Jarcadia had a pleasant walk through Wolfecastle woods.

This OK Jarcadia?
Geoff

jarcadia

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
Even reducing the .jpg file size down considerably the resultant KMZ file is too large for this forum.  I have attached the maximum number of photos (4) The file number tallies with the ones on the  Google earth screenshot that Geoff did.  Wolfscastle has always been known for the number of bridges in the village.  This walk was just to record (and play with new toy) some of the bridges & ruins of bridges not always seen.

Geoffw

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
Even reducing the .jpg file size down considerably the resultant KMZ file is too large for this forum.  I have attached the maximum number of photos (4) The file number tallies with the ones on the  Google earth screenshot that Geoff did.  Wolfscastle has always been known for the number of bridges in the village.  This walk was just to record (and play with new toy) some of the bridges & ruins of bridges not always seen.
I've just taken the the size limit off and increased the number of files you can attach.  I may have to re-instate it at a higher level later.  Everyone should remember large files take an age to load.
Geoff

jarcadia

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
OK have now attached the KMZ file, but you still need the latest version of Google Earth.  Some of the older version do not load the photos, if you don't see photos then check to see if there is an update available.
Brian
Note the file size is 750KB

Geoffw

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:53:30 AM »
Brian,

A question about the output of your data logger.  When you create the image of your route with the camera images marked on it, can you edit the text?  i.e. Change the DSCFxxxx.jpg to something more meaningful?

P.S. for those who are not sure what I mean, take a look at the Google Earth image in my previous posting.
Geoff